Friday 4 February 2011

I'm Turning Into My Mother (There Are Worse Things I Could Be)

My mother is crazy. Genuinely unhinged, in a loveable lunatic kind of way. And as I get older, I'm looking and acting more like her. Most women are petrified of turning into their Mothers, but the way I see it, I wouldn't be who I am without her, and I'm an okay person. So, it figures that she must be an okay person. Today, I bought a box of creme eggs; there were two in it, when one disappeared. As a former (really) fat girl, I assumed I must have eaten it, and had somehow blocked it out, and therefore surrendered the last one to my mother. She allowed me to go along with this disillusion, encouraging it, even, until she cracked and told me she'd had it (after eating the majority of the last one). So, my mother got two creme eggs, and I got a bite of one. We were in hysterics all afternoon. That's why I don't mind turning into my Mum. I love her, and she taught me to laugh. That no matter how crappy things get, you can still find something to laugh about, even if it is just a rather amusing incident with a creme egg.

The other thing that happened today with my Mum also made me realise how lucky I am to have her; my sisters have been threatening to steal my Ann Summer's Saucy schoolgirl outfit; so, when my Mother told me to get dressed, I went and put it on, came downstairs in it, and told her I was not removing it until I thought it was safe. She found it highly amusing, and asked me if I really thought it was a good idea to wear it to walk to Tesco. I love her.

I think the main reason I'm so thankful, is that a year ago my Mum nearly died. She had a clot in one of her arteries, and it brought on a heart-attack like thing, and at the time, I had so much going on at Uni I didn't really understand how serious it all was; she hid it from me, so that I wouldn't worry. That's her all over, more worried about me and the posse doing well, than her own health. When I came back home, and saw what she's been struggling with on a day-to-day basis, it scared the life out of me; she's my best friend. So this is just a note to say how awesome my Mother is (because I know you read this, Susan) and that I am so blooming lucky to have her, it's unreal. So, Mum, I don't mind turning into you, because you're the best person I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment